Monday, November 17, 2008

Man Against the Elements


Today is the third anniversary of my stroke and marks my semi-return to life as I knew it. Not quite like my life before but it’s closer than was expected of me considering how badly the stroke affected me. My right side still has some lingering effects of paralysis and is worst when I’m tried or stressed. In the middle of the night or in the dark really my hand curls up in that palsied state that I knew only too well. My typing has improved as well as my stamina but I still find it hard to hold my hand up off the keys so I type a lot of JJJJJJJJJJJJ’s and KKKKKKKKKK’s with the occasional LLLLLLLLLL’s to lighten up the load. Thank god for Spell Check and Thesaurus to help me out. I continue to search my mind for the words I want to use and the meaning of some words. So the Thesaurus is especially helpful as well as the Dictionary to check out those difficult words I like to use. Never could spell them and had to look them up but you know I can’t help to feel blessed.
My life now is not as complicated as before, I’ve managed to find a new peace with my life and with my demons. I’m not in a hurry as much and have a new tolerance for people that was lacking in the old me. Never one to tolerate stupidity in anyone I’ve come to view it differently. In many cases it’s the result of an injury to the brain, connections that don’t work quite as well as mine. And in many cases it’s just that they have a congenital defect that isn’t working. I’ve realized that many people don’t have the same drive that I do or the same sense of adventure that has served me so well in my life. It seems that I’ve been preparing for some disaster to befall me and I’ve squirreled away knowledge like some juicy nut.
At any rate I am content with my life, there are things I want but don’t have but I can work towards them. I have my health and my mind and that’s the best of all worlds. I can turn my attention towards a better life for me and the people I know and trust. I don’t have a lot of extraneous friends but that means a cleaner landscape for the one’s I do. I am basically content and how many people can say that!

2 comments:

Lin said...

Beautiful photograph Michael, and very inspiring words too.

You're quite right, simpler is better. I am also pretty darn happy with my life. Experiences like those we've been through really teach a person just what is important in life.

unbearable lightness said...

"I’ve realized that many people don’t have the same drive that I do or the same sense of adventure that has served me so well in my life."

I so identify with this. I am a person of action, and that can really piss people off because apathy seems to be the most acceptable of human conditions. Nevertheless, it has become your triumph to have drive and a sense of adventure. That is why you have conquered adversity.