Friday, February 27, 2009

Creative Genus


" I think I know what it is like to be God"
Pablo Picasso



There’s a really wonderful talk on Ted.com with Elizabeth Gilbert who wrote "eat, pray, love". It’s about the creative genus and the way we approach it in our thinking as a society. How it relates to us all in different ways and what pressure it can place on us as individuals. In my own experience with this force, which I refer to as magic, it has a charm that can’t be controlled or summoned on a whim. It’s a force as free as the wind and as complex as the relationship between two creative people. When it happens you know it and when it doesn’t you know it only too well.

We photographers try to harness that magic each time we pick up a camera and aim it at a subject. Sometimes we succeed in creating an image that’s spectacular and some times it’s somewhat less. It’s that magic, I was afraid I’d lost when I had my stroke. Along with the other crutches that most creative people cultivate, I had a great fear that my life was now changed beyond measure. It took me a long time to be able to even hold my camera and the thought of creating were immense. Did I have the mental acuity to be able to summon that magic and manipulate it for my art. I only knew that I was lost and it was going to be a long time getting into the groove of things before I could even try.

I started shooting my events first and that went slowly but well thank the gods. That’s how I make money and that was important in it’s own right but it’s not the only thing that’s important. What about the thing that feeds my soul and brings joy to my very being. I could only wait and wonder for a long time before I felt able to cope. My first subject was a model friend who I’d known for some time, she was comfortable with me and knew my situation. I was filled with trepidation about the actual mechanics of the shoot, there are so many things to remember. Would I be able to concentrate on the model and the feel I was getting and still keep the actual functions of the camera clear in my mind. When you are shooting available light you need to keep reflectors in mind and to be able to see what they’re giving you. One misplaced reflector and your shot is only lit from one direction and the mood changes. And mood is everything when photographing the nude.

I’m happy to say all went well and as I progressed I got more and more confident and relaxed, secure in my knowledge and that I could hold up my end of the bargain. It was more than showed up for work and trying, the magic was with me. I wasn’t forcing it to work for me I was content to let it happen on it’s own and direct our shoot. My second model was a new girl who had been recommended to me. Because I knew what I could do I wasn’t as fearful as the first time. Because of a timing mixup we got a late start, we used this time as a test of each other and how we worked together. The magic still flowed and we got some nice work. But the point of all this is you can’t force magic, it will happen or it won’t. Being ready and secure in your knowledge is key to enticing the magic to shine upon you and your endeavors. You can’t and don’t want to force each situation to conform to your beliefs that you are all powerful and you alone are a creative genus. That way lies madness and a sad end to your talents.

4 comments:

Lin said...

Wow what a beautiful post! And you're so right too!

Your creative vision and your passion clearly show in your work. Your photographs all have a certain "flow" which is unique to you. I see it when I look at them. "Magic" is a good description of it.

Shadowscapestudio said...

Super image Michael, and a good post to read along with it.

christian pélier said...

Michael, as said Lin, it's a beautiful post. May I publish it ?... I would be so happy, my friend !

christian pélier said...

It's here Michael :
http://www.universdartistes.com/2009/03/creative-genius-by-michael-vasquez.html

Thank you again and a great BRAVO !!!

Keep strong, stayt passionate and take care...
Your friend