Friday, April 10, 2009

Storm Palms




I’ve been working on my resume to get it up to date so I can look for work. My usual contact have been very helpful and have given some ideas to try. I’ve never seen the economy this bad in all my years in business. It’s a real struggle for every one in business right now. Tourism, hotels and the convention business are all suffering with the downturn. This isn’t just my personal business mind you, from everything I hear and read the downturn is very well spread out affecting everyone worldwide. I would hate to be a young college student starting out looking for a career right now. Something about an old curse about living in interesting times; well the times are very interesting right about now.

I had good news today that one of my clients is still interested in updating their website. So I may get some work in my chosen profession but I’m not counting my chickens yet. What I’m trying to do is spread my net a little further and incorporate more of my talents and skills. Hence the update of my resume, so much different from my professional one. But I think the skills translate well and with a balance of the two I should be able to survive and get back to shooting my nude series again. Then get some prints made and begin to search for galleries to show my work. At least that’s the long term plan that I had been working on before I had my stroke. It feels good to finally get back into the groove and it’ll be even better to get back to work again. I’ve had a slow couple of month and that’s affected my thinking and my game plan really. I’m in so much better a place now that I have some hope for the future. That’s critical to my thinking and to my survival.

Worldwide people are suffering and wondering what to do or where to go now. These are not normal times, this is the beginning of a new order of thing worldwide. I don’t think that people have a handle on the way things are going quite yet but the old order is fighting tooth and nail to stay on top. The automobile, energy both coal and oil are digging in there heels and saying keep the statue quo for the foreseeable future. I think that the old ways, the tried and true ways are changing whether we like it or not. In my own business conventions are down, people are telecommuting to save on costs while budgets are tight. Adverting has been hit, budget are strained if not completely cut. Hotel rooms are going empty and it’s lets make a deal time.

So when times are tough, the tough get going. You’ve probably heard that ad nauseam. But it is so true that it bears repeating, get going and make something happen in your life for your future. Just like it past time in this country that we need to make thing that people will buy. It’s time we all take a hint and try making something of ourselves that people will buy. In my own business life I belong to several groups that happen to send out newsletters with special events. I’ve been reading them monthly and I’ve finally found something to wrap up and sell. It’s a new look and feel to an old business interest of mine. I’m not ready to give up yet. To get back to the original point I was making, I’d hate to be young and getting ready to graduate from college now. Times are hard and I’ve learned to survive in hard time, I know what it like. Most student don’t they’ve been sheltered from life’s worst aspect and don’t know anything but the academic world. I wish them much luck in getting their feet firmly planted in the world’s new order of things. Remember that the best of times are still ahead, there are a few obstacles to pilot around first but we can all do it.

2 comments:

Lin said...

I wish you good fortune and good luck for your new business ventures. All we can do is hang on and keep going, and adapt as and when we can. Endurance is an art-form in itself, so I've found.

unbearable lightness said...

From what I've read, desktop publishing and computer animation remain hot fields. If you can fit into those areas, Michael, the pay is good and the demand is out there. Whenever advertising dollars decline, you will see public relations work increase...and desktop publishing allows for free publicity in print and online.