Thursday, August 27, 2009

Death Panel


I’m not about to get into the end of life debate now roiling the country. Instead I’ll tell you about my plans and the way one person feels. I want to have that talk with my doctor, in fact I’ve already signed a living will. I’m not willing to saddle anyone else with that responsibility or to leave it up to anyone to decide for me. If there’s not a shred of hope for my recovery I want to be made as comfortable as possible and let me get on to the next phase. Personally I feel that we have the responsibility to make room for other’s yet to come. Like an actor on the stage we owe it to ourselves to know the time to make a graceful exit.

I am sixty-one years of age, still young and vital, still with dreams and desires yet to fulfill. Though my time is running short there is no end to my drive to make this as full a life as possible. I feel as though I survived my stroke for a reason and I’d like to share my story with as many people who will listen. I’d like to bring some comfort and some hope to the people who share my illness. There seems to be no end to my art as well, I still have the desire to express myself and there are still some image I want to create. I still have that urge to communicate though my photographs, to tell stories of love and loss; the fleetingness of time and beauty. There are many thing I have left to share while there is still time and the space in my heart.

I came into this world with my own mind-set and no one could change that even though they tried. Like mercury you could push me into a corner but somehow I’d slip out around your fingers. I had my way of doing things and living my life by my rules when I could and even when I couldn’t I’d find a way. I was always looking to be a character when I grew up and I guess I’ve realized that goal. I’m very satisfied with my life up until now and I see no reasons to change in mid-stride. There are those who think I’m too old to be creative, too old to be of use as well. But as long as I have my mind, I can function and feel of use I intent to survive as long as I want. That’s the key to me, wanting to survive. When I feel the time is ripe and life holds no further interest for me I’ll take my marbles with me and play no more. That’s my right as well as my duty as I see it

I watched my father as he ran to the doctor’s every time he sneeze or felt an ache or pain. Of course it was a social occasion as well to access those who had survived in his circle of friends. I’ve seen other people who’s life has been long and they come to their doctor to complain and are surprised when they get pills. Doctors are supposed to do something to try and ease pain or discomfort, that’s their nature and their duty. If you don’t complain you don’t get pills is the way I see it. I don’t even want medication for sexual dysfunction, I’m not dying for an orgasm. I figure that at the age I am it’s a normal part of life, especially after surviving a stroke so I’m content to be my age. For me it’s a quality of life issue rather than the quantity of that life. I see no reason to have my life extended if I don’t get any quality. There are now expensive options to extend your life an extra six months or nine months but where’s the quality in that? If you’re young enough to have children or there maybe a cure fine but why put off the inevitable. All this talk of “death panels” simply clouds the issues, how to exit this life with dignity and grace. I do not wish to suffer and drag my existence out longer than I have to, it’s not right for the people I love and care about. I remind you that this is just my perceptive, some may agree with me and some will not. It’s simply my decision.

4 comments:

Lin said...

Interesting post. I disagree with your approach to quality-vs quanity of course, but it's an emotive subject and everyone will think differently.

Besides, you're far too young, my dear Michael, to entertain thoughts of shuttling off the mortal coil. Your work here isn't done yet.

But wow, what a beautiful portrait! One of my favourite photographs you've ever taken! What a beautiful expression - it makes me smile just to look at her.

MichaelV. said...

Yup she's know as Latina Angel and she is sweet. Has a baby now and lives in the frozen north somewhere, I never hear from her for some reason. Glad you like it.

unbearable lightness said...

It's true - how differently we view the end of life and also advancing age. Yesterday's shoot underscored for me once again just how physically strong I have become. In less than a month I will be 65, Michael, so you are a kid to me. It was surprising to do the math and see Ted Kennedy was just 12 years older than I.

It must all be a state of mind, and sometimes people get tired. You had a huge fight just to stay in this game, and won, so keep coming back bigger and better! I believe in it!

And, if that's not in the cards, like you I accept it. When we've had so many blessings, there's no reason to expect, just be glad.

Unknown said...

Great article!!

Our new movie deals with this subject matter. I would suggest readers of this article to check it out if they have a chance.

Another Harvest Moon is a sensitive drama about four elderly Americans coping with life in a nursing home. Starring: Ernest Borgnine, Anne Meara, Doris Roberts and Piper Laurie.

Or check us out on facebook - http://www.facebook.com/harvestmoonfilm