Sunday, February 7, 2010

Mea Culpa


Where to begin, first I apologize to all who missed me. I took a break from writing, and concentrated on home and hearth. My health is fine, and my sprites are as well. I’ve been going to group sessions for my stroke, passing on the information I have for people in the same position I was a few years ago. It’s kinda hard on me, being on the same floor I was, walking down the same hallways, but I’m so much better now. I’ve seen the people I’m trying to reach listening to me, taking some comfort from the things I share. The staff too seems to be happy I’m there to give their patients some hope for their future. Each month it’s a new group I interact with, sometimes there’s a hold over, or family members comes back to find help, to get some answers. I try my damnest to be honest as I can, and warn about the pitfalls as well. In the end I guess that’s all I can do to make life easier, to shed some light where everything seems so dark.

I’m making friends with the physiologists, he sometimes share his own personal pain in his life as well. It’s an easy group, almost like talking with family, but better somehow. I guess it’s because I get to go home afterward's , and don’t have to see them till the next month. But it so nice to be able to share things with them, I tell the patients that so lucky to have the services of the physiologist were as I had to figure this out all on my own. I had my stroke too early to get this help, it wasn’t until last year that they figured out that stroke was so debilitating, and that there was good money to be made as well. Funny how the profit motive comes into play, I can’t say that my hands are clean either. I have an idea for a book on my experiences, I’m looking to find out what questions get asked the most. Mea culpa indeed..., but I really can’t see making much money on my project, enough to cover the cost of printing. Fame doesn’t interest me, I’ve seen first hand how much it cost you personally. One loses a lot of their freedom, you are always on your guard in case you say or do the wrong thing when people are watching.

So as I say, life goes on, and I’m lucky to be a part of it. Obviously I didn’t really want to die, and I didn’t but there I was stuck with a mind that had betrayed me. I’ve gone though a lot to get back to almost were I was to begin with so I guess I have a story to tell as well as a life to live. I’ll update as the sprite wills, don’t hold me to a date certain. Life has taken a turn for the better now and I mean to enjoy it, as well as the people who love me.

3 comments:

Lin said...

So glad to hear that life is good for you, Michael! That's important work you are doing - you are changing lives and making a real difference.

"Update as the sprite wills"

Love that phrase. Good philosophy. I am heading that way myself.

unbearable lightness said...

That is indeed important work you're doing, Michael. I have been swimming at the Y with a former nurse who had a major stroke. She and I are the only ones in the "adult" swim who actually swim! She's doing great! Last week she passed her driving test!

Knowing you prepared me for this friendship. I am so happy for you and for my new friend Ann!

MichaelV. said...

Well good for Ann, please pass on my complements. I too feel it's important work to do. Besides I get a kick out of it, it's so nice to help people who feel so lost for somewhere to turn.