Saturday, March 12, 2011

Keep In Touch


I am the most fortunate of men, I don’t collect “friends”, but I’m really blessed that most of my models keep me in mind when their address changes. One young model, she was twenty when we shot, took great umbrage at some advice I was giving her. She no longer keeps in touch, much to her determent; if I have no way of keeping in touch I can’t let you know how the images we created are being used. I’m religious about letting my model’s know when I use an image on my blog, on various sites and for any shows I enter. My feeling is we created this work together, you are an integral part of what we did, you are entitled to know (even years later) how and where your images are being displayed.
Any advice is freely given, I’m not offended if you don’t take it to heart don’t listen it’s your life not mine, my world will not stop. I really enjoy the women who pose for me, who take the time and interest to make images with me. Some work much better with my overall vison, it seems like second nature to them. I take my time to get an idea of who this person is that I am going to photograph. Usually we have coffee, I show them my book so there are no surprises when we work. An important part of the way I work is to get to know something about them, how else can I capture the essence of that person. So many of the girls that I work with are young, twenty-something. Most still think they work/live in a vacuum, that no one will look up there photos or get an opinion of their character from the images they lend themselves to.
I on the other hand have lived a goodly long time, I no longer think I’m invincible, I know that actions beget reaction no matter how private you may think those actions are. We don’t live in a bubble of our own choosing, the internet has forced us to live a very public life. I’m very conscious of the images I am posting, I want for my model's to be able to make that choice as well even though I have a release. When I am posting to Facebook I know what’s appropriate as far as they are concerned. I have learned the hard way that for my model appropriate for one venue isn’t appropriate for them. I do not wish to embarrass them in front of their family or friends.
This blog is different, here I may show the kind of work that I do unedited, but it’s not likely that any members of my models family will see the posts. Here it’s a more private setting, my friend come here to view my work and to read what I have to say. Just as you have come here to see my work and read my words/thoughts as well. Nothing gives me more pleasure then to have someone comment on my blog, or for it to spur other thought. I love that free flow of ideas and comment that are well thought out. So please keep visiting my site and by all means, keep in touch.

2 comments:

Lin said...

I hear what you’re saying about public and private lives.

I found that modelling is very uplifting and good for one’s self-image. A good photo makes a model feel beautiful inside – it certainly did wonders for my damaged ego, anyway. But with the ascent of Google and Facebook, things changed. Everything is a lot more public now than it was a year ago, and that’s purely thanks to developing technology. Any chance of anonymity is now gone. If a model has nude photos taken of her, then she needs to realise BEFORE she shoots that those photos will change the rest of her life. Eventually the Google algorithms and the facial recognition technology will mean that if she searches for her name on Google in a few years time, then that link will directly go to those innocent nude photos she once modelled for. How will that affect her job, her future prospects, her kids?

Not that I don’t recommend nude modelling, of course. It’s a fantastic experience and one I wouldn’t have missed for the world. But I went into it with my eyes open. When I started, I knew I would have to give up my long-term goal of becoming a court judge. It was a sacrifice I was willing to make.

The new internet technology is reshaping our world. There is no such thing as privacy, no hope of keeping our skeletons in the closet. All our lives are now public – now that Pandora’s box has been opened there is no way to shut it again.

MichaelV. said...

My dear Lin so good of you to comment, I know this is your busy time of year. That was precisely what the disagreement between my model and me. For the age she was she made good money, $1000. Hell I'd like to make that money too! But here it is seven years later and her images are still on the site, little time bombs waiting for the wrong step.