Sunday, May 15, 2011

Women

I’ve always had a special love of pretty women. As far back as the fifth grade, I discovered that women, no matter their age could affect me and my judgement. I got to be a school crossing guard that year, had a badge and everything. One morning while helping the other kids cross the street safely a girl I knew from the library came up to cross. I was smitten with her, the way she walked, the way she talked and she was standing there next to me Well you could smell the brain cells frying, we were talking, I heard the mamma guard whistle and I step into the street to let the little girl cross. All should have been well, I mean she talked to me, but she was in the middle of the street crossing against the what little traffic there was when I figured out what happened. Or there was the time I was chosen first base umpire also in the fifth grade. My friend had slid into first base just ahead of the ball and I called him safe as the pretty young teacher, who was head umpire called him out. She came trotting out to confer with me, as I looked into her pretty face I knew I was doing wrong, but I just couldn’t contradict her... out he was Oh it wasn’t a pretty sight to be inside my head as I grew into adolescence and the view didn’t improve as I grew older.

As a young man I could be an asshole to those I loved, I won’t pretend different. I could be difficult, opinionated and wanted my way most of the times, but I could be charming and sweet as well. I tried to live the life I’d be taught by my parents to live and they ended up divorced. Monogamy wasn’t my thing though I tried my best, I guess the grass was always greener on the other side. Finally I grew up enough to realize I could love someone in small doses, but she had to be strong enough to have her own life that was important enough to her. The best sort of relationship was to live close together, see each other most evenings, but have our own places too. When it seemed like a good idea I could be monogamous, but only if my partner was also. I was prone to long term relationships, of doing all those couple things, but having the space to do mine.

Now what you ask does this have to do with photography, not much. But I am approaching my sixty-third birthday in a few weeks and this is what you get. I’m reminiscing over my pasts as I look to the future. I’ve reach the point where I’m like a dog chasing a bus, what will I ever do if I manage to catch the damn thing. But I still have a little chase left in me and a deep appreciation for the beauty of women. Like the bus it’s not about catching it, it’s all about enjoying the chase after it

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your thoughts on relationships reminds me very much of “The Invitation” by Oriah Mountain Dreamer, especially the last part: “I want to know if you can be alone with yourself and if you truly like the company you keep in the empty moments.”

I once read a book by a monk called Anthony De Mello who taught about non-possessive love. Basically he said that the best form of love wasn’t based on dependence, but rather on freedom to be oneself and have one’s own personal space. Only then could a person love truly. It strikes me that this is a much more enlightened way of living than the more conventional type of nuclear relationship because each partner knows who they really are and doesn’t stifle the other.

MichaelV. said...

Oh what a really good woman you are. My lifestyle isn't for everyone, I do enjoy my own company. Being a Gemini all those personalities and I get along well. The only time when we have a problem is when one is fighting with another, I know I'll be the one getting hurt!

unbearable lightness said...

Michael, we seem to have lived parallel lives. Perhaps this love of the opposite sex and the way it plays with your mind and decisions was typical of our generation.

As your 63rd approaches, look forward, not back. I am a Libra, also an air sign, and we cannot dwell in the heaviness of the past with all our errors too late to correct. Enjoy the Unbearable Lightness of the beauty of life :-)

MichaelV. said...

I really try not to second guess myself too much. I suppose it is our generation who wonders about decisions we made in the past. Much too late for that now, I'd enjoying my older age, except for the effect of the stroke. Hard to remember how lucky I am except for when I'm working with a figure. Then I realize just how lucky I am!