Monday, December 1, 2008

Larry


My friend Larry Rothwell passed away after a battle with liver cancer Saturday night. Larry was a singer/songwriter in Austin and loved the life he live. A life long bachelor until almost the end on Sunday he married in spirit his love Phebe . Larry’s latest CD was Sack O Songs and he was busy working on a new CD when cancer interrupted his plans. Originally from Colorado he moved to Austin and continued playing in a variety of bands and was passionate about his music. His music and his presence will be missed around the farm where he lived out his life.

Once I had a young model out at the farm and we’d been doing sone nude at the milk barn and then down at the family cemetery. I told her I wasn’t sure how many people were going to be there but not to worry in that case she wouldn’t be getting nude. There was no way I was having her put on a show for anybody and if there was anybody around we’d have something to eat then try again another day. But no one was outside and we had a lovely shoot and used quite a lot of the background that the farm has. After we finished we came up to the complex of housing that make up the farm. Larry and his friend Chuck had been into some very nice "white lightning" they’d gotten from some where’s and they were feeling very joyful. When I introduced them to my model they were very gentlemanly, almost courtly. They could appreciate having a pretty, young coed around the property.

We’ve all lost a very good friend and a very decent man. I love you very much Larry and I’ll miss your company.

5 comments:

Lin said...

Michael, I am very sorry to hear your news. You have written a wonderful tribute to your friend. Long may his memory remain in the hearts of those he touched during his life.

unbearable lightness said...

I am so sorry to hear about your friend. I hope you will always cherish memories of him. It is so important to remember those who touched our lives. You have done this with your post.

Anonymous said...

Michael,

Condolences on Larry's passing. Very sad, and I'm so sorry. He was clearly a very special friend to you. Wonderful post.

Rhonda said...

Greetings Michael!
I googled Larry Rothwells name tonight because I miss him, which led me to your page. He would have been impressed that he could be googled but not egoic! I met Larry when I was 16 and now I'm 52. We lost touch for awhile but during that time he was married for ten years to a woman that he always spoke highly of to me. Perhaps Larry never spoke about her to you but he was indeed married. I miss him with all of my heart and soul and have cried "Too many Nights" over him. I hope you are getting over your loss as I am trying to do. Be well and try not to be sad, Larry was a very true, original and beautiful person and I'm sure he does not want us to be so sad.
Be well : )

Anonymous said...

I went to high school with Larry. It's always sad to lose those you once knew well. I always thought I would connect with him again. The last time I saw Larry was when I was in graduate school at TT. He and another friend from high school dropped in to say hello. Thanks for your Blog, I'm glad he had a good life. He deserved one.
Johnny Brewton