Sunday, May 24, 2009

Ready For My Close-up


A star is born, not really my fifteen minutes of fame have yet to start. I went the other day for my on camera testimonial and it was a fun experience. Because I have experienced the camera before and had a story to tell I was calm and relaxed. I listen to the things the editor wanted and I gave her my story from beginning to end. She was really pleased with me and the way I carried myself and the story I had to tell. I got to tell people the warning signs and not to repeat my error in waiting for so long to get help. I made sure that everyone knew that economics played a part and that I was not depressed. But I was content to let my fate be decided by nature rather than me. I have sleep apnea and I was hoping that would decide my fate and that I go quietly in my sleep. But I lived to find out there are worse fates results than death.

I awoke twice in the night and tried to go to the bathroom and fell down both times. The last time I almost went through the window then down a floor to certain death. But I would have been cut up pretty bad on my way down; I still had a desire to save myself. I guess that carried me through the whole ordeal. At least the retelling of the story wasn’t as traumatic as the event, I got a certain relief out of it. I could tell it made an impression on the woman I was telling my tale to and my description of the pre-stroke event was something she hadn’t heard before. She was so pleased that we decide to do a B-roll later of me walking in the park. For those of you who don’t know a B-roll refers to filler material so the producer can fluff out the story. It’s an interesting process and I’ll post the final result when I get a copy. So my fifteen minutes of fame hasn’t started yet and I can look forward to it with relish.

------------------------------------------------------

On another note today is Memorial Day. A day of remembrance for the people who have given their lives for the freedoms we enjoy. We can debate the cause of the war, any wars for that matter. But we all should remember the men and women who have had their lives taken from them. We should remember to make the sacrifice for very good reasons and not to waste it. Remember too that we should live and let live and not force our views on one another. Too many people have given the ultimate sacrifice so we can enjoy this day. Let’s enjoy today and accept some different view to celebrate.

3 comments:

Lin said...

Firstly, congrats on telling your story. I am absolutely positive it will help a great many stroke survivors and inspire hope and courage for getting their lives back. Kudos!

Secondly, the sleep apnea sounds very worrying. Isn't there an alarm (or other device such as a CPAP machine) that you can use? My two sons both suffered from this when they were babies. It was terrifying - we ended up letting them sleep next to us for several years so we could revive them when necessary (parents - mothers in particular - have an inbuilt reflex which wakes them up if their child stops breathing.)

MichaelV. said...

The first two years I was obsessing about death. Having fought so hard to stay alive and I did it on my terms too. I’m enjoying being alive, I feel young and vital. But sometimes things happen, sometimes for good, sometimes not. I’m not obsessing anymore; just take one day at a time.

unbearable lightness said...

I so admire your courage, Michael. You are an inspiration to anyone determined to fight their way back from adversity, and believe me, there are plenty of people out there now trying to do just that.

Keep sharing! And thank you.