Monday, June 1, 2009

Birthday


Today I am officially sixty one years old and I don’t feel it. Yes I have ache and pains mostly from my stroke but I’m doing pretty well for a man my age. I must say I kinda surprised to be here, having escaped most of my follies relatively unscathed. In my youth, like all people I felt bulletproof and there weren’t many thing I didn’t try. I was really fearless or stupid, whatever you want to call it about my future. I didn’t feel the need to plan for my welfare or my health, I though I’d figure that out when I was ready. Well I’m ready now to find my way again and I have a hope for my future.

Last week I took a ride down to the sight of the new project that just fell into my lap. I was really impressed with the caliber of the people involved and with their drive and passion. They have a prototype built that has solar, wind and water build right in. Next month they plan a trip to Mexico to look at a site and make their plans to build a self-sustainable community. Very impressive in their scope and will bring a new quality of life to the local inhabitants. A totally green environment that will produce water for their crops and will recycle everything else they need. A very exciting project to be involved with. We even have on board someone to test the soil and suggest native plants that are apropos to the environment.

Of course this has tremendous commercial applications as well, they are in the process of getting the grants and funding that they need to make the technology work. That’s the point were I come into the project to document and to record there progress. I was down to photograph the prototype and the detail’s of how it was built. I shot the most important features of the construction as well as a general overview of the prototype and what features come with this particular product. Not exciting kind of shooting but eventually it should pay my bills. I’m looking for it to pay more than my bills really. I want to get back to shooting my model and creating my art. I have to find some way to sustain my art until it gets rolling and I get some regular clients. This was my plan for the future at the time I had the stroke but that event took up all the air in the room.

I was smart enough to see my age creeping up on me and at age fifty-seven I was starting to shift my work into the more artistic avenues. I could envision the time when I wouldn’t be able to keep up physically with working eight to ten hours a day at event photography. I was planning an orderly transition in life and the focus of my work. But my stroke changed my thinking overnight, I was left battling for my life instead. So many people have told me that I’m inspirational to anyone fighting my situation. Some have call my action heroic but I don’t feel that way at all. I had no choice in my fight, it was either sink or swim really. I could lay there in bed doing nothing or I could put one foot in front of another and get back the life I was used to living. The chose was stark, take it or leave it. I chose life and the pursuit of happiness. A couple of weeks ago I managed to get my testimonial recorded and in it I found a voice to speak to everyone who finds themselves in my condition. I found it important to give people hope and remind them that the doctors never know exactly what there patients are capable of overcoming in their desire to live a full and useful life again. Of course not everyone is as lucky as I am; some never recover and are left crippled for life. But that the way I feel actually, lucky. I am very lucky indeed.

6 comments:

Shadowscapestudio said...

Happy birthday, Michael.
As I was hiking this week with a model less than half my age, and while I was toting a backpack with about thirty pounds of gear and keeping up with her, I felt pretty good about the shape I am in.
Of course I pay for it in the evening with the normal aches and pains of an old man, but we are doing well, you and I.
May this year bring you much pleasure and good health.

Lin said...

Happy Birthday Michael!!!

If you were here, I'd bake you a huge birthday cake:-) Not that your arteries would appreciate it, but hey, it is your birtday after all!

Your new project sounds incredibly cool - it sounds like you are starting a new chapter in your life, and I am very excited for you.

And as for the medical stuff - you're inspirational to ME - simply for your constant optimism and courage to rebuild your life. Luck has nothing to do with it - your survival is down to your true grit and inner strength of character.

christian pélier said...

Happy Birthday my friend ! Make wishes, it's time for... :)

unbearable lightness said...

Happy Belated Birthday, as the Hallmark cards so diplomatically put it. Really, Happy Birthday with apologies for being almost a week late. My niece's son had his seventh birthday on the same day, and he is an incredible child. Kind of like you - brilliant, artistic, with a phenomenal vocabulary, and just a really nice guy.

Most kids would want to go to Chucky Cheese or McDonalds for their birthday, but he chose a sushi restaurant.

So June 1 has produced at least great guys I know. Many happy returns of the day!

D.L. Wood said...

A late Happy birthday.

I think a lot of your luck in life has to do with your positive attitude.

I have a Grandmother that celebrated her 105th birthday in February. I feel that one of her greatest assets is that she is always looking forward. She is slowly losing her hearing and sight. All of her brothers and sisters and most of her friends have passed away and one of her children [my mother] passed away 9 years ago. But when you ask her how she is doing she always reply's I'm great for a lady my age. She doesn't dwell on the past but looks forward to the future. Something I have to keep reminding my self of.

D.L Wood

MichaelV. said...

Thanks everyone, I think you've got to keep a positive attitude about life. "You are only young once but you're never too old to be childish". Words that I live by!