Monday, September 22, 2008

"A Moment in Time"


My friend Lin from Fluffytek Art Blog encouraged me to get off my butt and post some of my images and tell my story. In November of 2005 I had a traumatic stroke. It was an Ischemic stroke, a landslide in my brain, I was totally paralyzed on my right side so the clot was in the left half of my brain. For about a week it was touch and go as to whether I’d live or not. I won’t bore you with the details right now but I found a will to survive that was so strong and complete that I’m here today. I was in the hospital for a month, in rehabilitation for almost a year and a half and this summer I have officially been reading for a full year now. It’s been a long hard struggle finding my way back but I mean to get there. I’ve been able to shoot a little but haven’t found the will or interest to return to my old ways. I feel like I was given the chance at a new life, a better life and my desire now is to help others find their own ways to make it back to their own lives. I don’t mean to preach or proselytize I have no agenda, pills or way of life that I’m pushing my aim is to tell my story and perhaps it will help.
For a little information I’ve been working in photography for most of my adult life. I personally shoot event photo’s but I’ve worked as an assistant for many fine photographers I’m proud to tell you. I lived in New York for 5 years and put my time to good use shooting with young model on their way up. I’ve always loved finding out about people and finding ways to report a thin slice of their lives at a given moment in time. I returned from NYC some 10 years ago and like many of you I’ve struggled with the changes in our industry and economy ever since. My stroke changed all that, changed my life and how I view it forever. Join me now in that quest to find myself.

3 comments:

Lin said...

At last he joins Blogger!!!

I've been waiting for a long time to say:

Welcome to the Dark Side. We have Cookies!

MichaelV. said...

Cookies!! I want a glass of the wine you have.

unbearable lightness said...

Michael, you have just put my recent medical woes in perspective. What an incredible story of determination and sheer will. Your work is beautiful, too. I'm glad I saw your comment on Lin's blog.