Monday, October 6, 2008



Fear is the greatest obstacle to one’s recovery that I know. In the words of the old saw, when you fear you can’t you’re probably right. When I was in the hospital and after when I returned home fear was my biggest hindrance. I feared everything the therapy, the therapist, my doctors and most of all I feared myself. Could I do the things they were asking of me and what would my life be after the traumatic injury I had survived. My lifestyle was that of an almost loner, I live by myself and though I live of the periphery of the public eye I’m not of it. I usually work in anonymity taking my photos and try to remain in the background. Here I was the center of focus (no pun intended) and I could fail or succeed at my will, it was all up to me. It took a long time to get comfortable with myself, too much of myself confidence and self-reliance were shaken to the core. I wasn’t this strong rugged individual I projected. I had some visitors, photographers I was friend’s with and some models who came by to wish me well. But they were really talking to a shell of myself, I knew that there was a fundamental change in me and my perceptions of the world about me. The models who came by were a real help, their young fresh minds and body’s couldn’t conceive of me being down for the count and getting up only just before the final bell. Instead I could lose myself in their problems and concerns, they provided an escape for me and mine.
I had no good options to getting better and I worried about the long term repercussions. Would I recover just to succumb to another stroke later or would I recover only marginally and never be able to work again and how on earth would I ever recover from the mounting bills. All this pressure and all I could do was take it one day at a time and hope my constitution was strong enough. And that’s what I did or tried to do, one day at a time, one foot in front of another and one hand dragged along for the ride. No heroic’s, no effort to hide it from myself. Just grim determination with a mind to the timetable attached to my recovery. I just had to do what I had to get back to my life. Now I find I’m in the company of some truly heroic people who struggle much harder than I do. They struggle with a mate and the hardest of all their children. My heart and hope’s go out to them along with my prayers. When I was recovering I happened to visit a church in another town and I lit a candle and said a prayer of hope for those I knew were struggling with life. Not for me because I was truly blessed but for my friends who were truly in need of some extra help. A word of thanks for the blessing in my life. A word of thanks for having a life worth living.
(I want to thank you all for commenting on my blog and giving me a space on yours. We truly are not alone in this world..., we are all brother’s and sister’s.)

6 comments:

unbearable lightness said...

Micheal, you are showing true courage and determination. As well you should. This is not dress rehearsal, as they say. This is life. This is the show. You go out there and play it for what it's worth.

I too am a loner, but I'm not a shy shrinking violet. I take numbers and kick butt when I think there's a fight needed. When it comes to your health, it has to be the #1 priority in your life. Keep fighting. Go at it like one of your models, who doesn't know the meaning of defeat.

MichaelV. said...

You’re so right health is the number 1 priority in life. I have friends who tell me they don’t mind death so they’ll just go on enjoying life. But the thing to remember is sometimes you don’t get that option then life get’s really interesting.

M

Lin said...

Thanks Michael. I really needed this post today. You're one courageous guy, and you're right of course, one day at a time is the only way to go.

BTW, you'll always be strong and rugged to me! You have a knack for detecting just when I need a friend!

Incidentally, that's a gorgeous photograph!

MichaelV. said...

I call it “Dance, Dance, Dance” from the old Phil Ochs song. The next line goes “ Teach us to be true” he was a songwriter from the 1970's who wrote some good stuff, you can find him on utube. Thanks again Lin and keep smiling.

christian pélier said...

It's exactly, word by word, what i'm living. It's good to be understood... Despite the illness. Thanks to share, you give me hope. I'm not alone on this painful way. Somebody can understand...
Thank you
Chris

christian pélier said...

Michael,

You, Lin and me share the same hard way. And you and Lin and me are devoted to the art. Art keeps us alive. Art makes us feel better.

Since the beginning of my multiple sclerosis, paralyzing me a little more day after day, I'm writing a book on it. Today, at least 1000 pages waiting I type them, I correct them, one life is not enough...

So, I know that you, Lin have something to tell : love is all, love can all. And Love is full of miracles. We can help us if we help the artists to understand the power they have to cure people.

Your text reflects your deep pain. You're in. Conscient. I love it because I feel exactly what you mean.

Maybe with it, could we illustrate it with some of your pictures you could choose.

Your answer by my email : you have it.
Take care.
Chris.