Friday, October 3, 2008


As I said my stroke was Ischemic and though it could have been worse it was bad enough. As I started to get better I tried to get used to the swing of the new realities of my life. I’ve been an event photographer for most of my adult life capturing ex-Presidents, Secretary’s of State and of course Congressmen and Mayors. There was a fund-raiser for the Mayor that I was donating my time and talents to. I expected the ususal event except this one was at a private home and I though it would give me a chance to experiment and see how my body reacted to the stresses and strains. This was about two months into my recovery and I was anxious to prove to myself that I could do what I always had done and to show myself I could rise to the occasion. I was barley off my cane at the time and still weak as could be and I figured I was good for an hour then I’d slip out and return home and rest. Well it was even harder than I figured and the event wasn’t at all what I had envisioned but I was stuck. I should have know better the moment I arrived that I was in over my head and just quietly turn back and gone home. No one was there from the association I belonged to who could help me I was on my own. It was a much bigger deal than I had figured, about 200 well heeled supporter were there including many that I knew. There was the meet and greet, handshake from well wisher who wanted to be seen and contribute, then of course the speeches. I sat and rested when I could but I needed to be on my feet much longer than I figured and when I needed to reload that was a pain I hadn’t counted on. I need to squat down to get at my bag to get the film, luckily I had put my bag under the piano so I had something solid to lift myself back up. Then I had 36 exposures to get though. I was really shaky on my pins going back down the steps and knew beyond a doubt that I wasn’t really ready for my life yet but in time.

6 comments:

Lin said...

How well I know the dangers of overdoing things! Learning one's new limits is harder than being ill in the first place.
I still regularly push myself too hard and I don't rest like I should.

You seem much more sensible than I am!

Lin said...

How well I know the dangers of overdoing things! Learning one's new
limits is harder than being ill in the first place.

I still regularly push myself too hard and I don't rest like I should.

MichaelV. said...

A word in our defense though, if we didn’t try how would we know our limits. I try things that are beyond me and I’m pleasantly surprised I can do it. At least till the pain hits and then I say to myself, “at least you did it”. Then I whimper and find a hole to crawl into!

M

|ris said...

I love your attitude about finding limits. It isn't always easy, but I have found it's always worth it.

unbearable lightness said...

William Saroyan wrote an incredible play in the 1930s called "In the Time of Your Life." He prefaced the play with these words:

"In the time of your life, live."

I always thought that was so simple yet profound.

MichaelV. said...

Thank you, you’ve got to push yourself or you end-up flat on your back being turned over by someone you don’t know. I never figured I had an option I just did the best I could. I wanted to get my life back and my brain, it didn’t always work the way I wanted but it was the only one I had.

M