Friday, January 23, 2009

Lady Liberty




The majesty of our style of government was on display the other day as the regime changed in this country. It was a shift not only in the style and substance of governance but in generations as well. A new generation of leaders is ready to take control and lead us through our perilous time. As Barack said it’s going to be a long hard struggle, many sacrifices are yet to be asked of us and it will be difficult. But as a nation we can and will triumph over adversity once again. His call for self-sacrifice and service rang a bell with me and many other people. Let’s see if his words have any meaning to those who govern us.

It’s no only time, it’s pass time to do what right for our country and to put partisanship aside and work together. Time for our Congress to set aside differences and work together for a change to solve the very real problems that we face. For too long have the money-changers had control of our finances and live’s. For too long has our leadership fixated over inconsequential instead of facing the very real prospects of bankruptcy. Now we face no other choice than the hard work of fixing our economy and living within our means. The American public has faced that reality and has quit shopping and using credit to buy things they really don’t need. I believe the American public is outraged over bailing out the back because they have created there own problems. By giving away free money in the form of easy credit they have sow the seeds of there own destruction. Ditto for easy mortgages and loans for grandiose housing projects. This I believe was spawned by the bankruptcy laws recently enacted that favored the banks.

We live under the poisonous cloud of greed, an uncontrollable greed that has
bankrupt our nation of morals, spirit and a sense of values. The very foundation of our future and that of our children is at stake. That’s why I believe in the principle of service, to our elders, to our children and to our community. We own it to them not to fail in our attempts of right some very basic wrongs in our society. In my old neighborhood there was a man about my age who I met walking everyday. As he went along he’d pick-up trash that he found in the streets and alleys of our neighborhood. When I saw him coming up my street I’d wait for him to get close then I’d take the trash and recyclables and deposit to the various cans. Now I’ve stolen the idea from him and in my walks though the park I pick up the trash I find. One maybe two bags and dispose of them in the waste can, I figure it’s one or two bags less that won’t find it’s way into the river. No big deal, it’s good exercise bending and picking and putting the trash where it belongs. I don’t feel noble or like I’m saving the world or anything like that. I love the park and it makes me feel good to show my appreciation in some way. Little signs of affection can do wonderful things if you want to try.

3 comments:

Lin said...

Very inspirational post, and beautifully written!

I particularly like the park trash recycling idea - I might steal that myself :-)

MichaelV. said...

It feels good to have less trash on my walks and it is good exercise. Thanks for the comment!

unbearable lightness said...

That seems to be the Obama mantra this week...we all have to do our part, even if it's something small like picking up trash. He proved in his fundraising that small efforts add up to A LOT.

I am busy picking up dog poop, so I don't have the inclination to grab the trash right now.