Monday, March 30, 2009

Assistant


In my assistant days I used to work with some very creative and high strung guys and some girls. The guys outnumbered the girls by a huge percentage because the guys seem to love the challenge. Not just the creative challenge but the inherent fiscal nature of risks. This is a really tough business to make a living off of. The risks are tremendous and the reward not all that great especially now. I used to have a lots of clients who were out-of-town shooters. They found me through word of mouth or referrals. When the economy turns down only a big client base will keep you going and I had the best.
One of my shooter’s was a guy from California, he was a food shooter for Bon Appetit. His studio manager booked me over the phone and we agreed on a price and the ground rules for the shoot. It was out in the hill-country, a bed and breakfast that they had heard about and were doing a story on. When I met the photographer on the set he took exception to my day-rate, he was willing to pay but only if he liked my work. I told him that I’d never received any complaints and that if he wasn’t satisfied he wouldn’t have to pay me at all. My confidence sort of rocked him and that was the beginning of a long and profitable relationship that took me to some interesting places. The editor was from New York and she was quite the challenge also. In a lull during the shoot I got busy prepping the table we were shooting, she ask me what I thought I was doing. I told her that I was dressing the napkins, showing the smooth side rater than the fold. My photographer smiled and I knew I’d get paid what I wanted.

I also worked for a guy from Detroit, he was a car shooter from a the Big Three. I was referred by the guy who was working the shoot locally. He had taken the photographer location scouting and really didn’t know his way around the city or the country side. The photographer told me on the first meeting that he hoped I was better than the guy helping him. They had apparently had a fruitless day of searching and he wasn’t in a mood for a repeat. I was confident that I knew the places that he wanted but first I had to know exactly what it was that he was looking for first. Then we started our search from the farthest location and worked our way back into town. The local guy told me that he was glad it was me in the car with the photographer and not him. But the photographer was fine just under a tremendous amount of pressure to shoot and had bad mood swings. I helped tame that by knowing not only some great locations but my knowledge of restaurants helped.

I say all this not because I think that I know everything or that I’m a perfect worker. But I have gotten to know a thing or two about physiology and how the mind works. First the best defense is a good offense. Take control of the situation and don’t show any fear. People and animals know fear when they sense it and that is the worst way to start working. Next make your mind up and don’t back down unless you have to. As Admiral Grace said, “it’s easier to ask forgiveness than it is to ask permission”. I take that to mean to know your stuff and act accordingly. Finally know your enemy, take your time and study them well. Get to understand there weakness and learn to out maneuver them. It’s so much better when you get people to work with you than against you. And how much better when people get used to working the way you’re going to work anyways.

No comments: