Thursday, March 26, 2009

Medication


I’m taking a lot of medication in a day, too much actually but it’s doing the job. It’s second nature to me when I wake up, after the evening news and when I go to bed. It’s become a ritual of medication and supplement (CoQ 10, Fish Oil, etc.), it vary’s in types and numbers, I’ve become pretty good at spotting the difference it makes in me. I’ve been under a lot of stress recently and my blood pressure has risen as a result. I very faithfully keep a log of my blood pressures and bring it along to the doctor to support what I’m feeling. When I noticed my BP rising I brought it to my doctors attention and she raised one of my prescriptions. That same log shown that the medication wasn’t working effectively. So I reviewed my list of medications that I also keep faithfully and tracked down a previous regime that gave me better results. I then switched my medication and got the results I wanted but rest assured that I consulted with my doctor by email.


I would like to point out that I have no medical training what so ever but I do have a feel for my body. I’ve been on the medications long enough that I have an idea what they do for me. I have read about the medications and the effects of each drug. While I’m not qualified at all to prescribe for others I feel confident to make minor adjustments in my own. And I do consult with my doctor frequently and never try to do her job for her. It’s all a part of being proactive with my doctor in trying to do what right for me. As I’ve mentioned I have to go once a month for regular test of my blood with pretty good results. I managed to eat my green leafy vegetables and keep my medication under control. I can usually report that I have no problems, no complaints. And that’s good for me and my wallet


I think that the reason I survived my stroke so well was exercise and diet, sad as it was. I tried to eat as well as I could, limit my red meat consumption and drink plenty of red wine. That was my downfall really, I loved red wine. But I had plenty of vegetables and fruit, whole grains were a must. I tried to feed my body good healthy food to sustain it for the hard work I require of it. My stroke was one of those come to god moments they describe. It really got my attention and got me interested in what I eat and what I feel. Though my friend Lorraine I learned to keep a BP log and a list of medications. I keep that medication log with me wherever I go without fail. If something happens to me I hope they’ll find it. On my cell phone I have my emergency number and my doctors number listed. I’ve already given my doctor a patient directive in case thing don’t go well but I don’t see it as negative in anyway. How else would anyone know what I want in the event that I shouldn’t be able to speak. I’ve talked with my friends and they all know my wishes. It’s all a part of being proactive about my life and my death. Nothing negative about it, all positive and all planned.


Let me stress again the importance of a blood pressure log, it’s the best way to support you with your doctor. It is the easiest way for you and your doctor to know what’s going on with your heart and it’s pressure. The added bonus is it show anyone that you care enough to be a active participant in your healthcare. In this day of unwanted tests and rising prices it helps to support your desires and your right. Make a list of questions you may have for your doctor, in my case any changes to my medication can be listed on my log. Be as active in your healthcare as possible, any life you save could be your own.


------------------------------------------------------------------


Latina Angle from our first shoot. Such a pretty young lady and such a chip on her lovely shoulder.

2 comments:

Lin said...

Good advice Michael. Glad to hear you're looking after yourself so well :-)

unbearable lightness said...

I truly believe we have to be in touch with our own body. It's all chemistry. We have our own personal variations in hormones, enzymes, etc. When your body says YUK, don't take it! When your body says YEAH, you know it's right. No physician can be inside us and know if something feels like it's working.

The other hitch is that your body chemistry changes with time. So medications and supplements need to be adjusted periodically.

So go with the flow of how you feel taking something, Michael, and be good to yourself!